Retiring in Puerto López, Ecuador
The Manabi Province in Ecuador’s Pacific coast is fast gaining a reputation for being one of the best places to retire in Ecuador. With its coastline dominated by picturesque beaches and sleepy fishing villages, life in Manabi is simple and carefree.
One of the fishing towns in the province is Puerto Lopez, home to more or less than 20,000 people. Known as the poor man’s Galapagos, Puerto López boasts a golden stretch of beach, the freshest seafood, and affordable accommodations. It is also billed as the gateway to some of the Ecuadorian Pacific coast’s best attractions, such as the Machalilla National Park.
Retiring in Puerto López – Retire in Ecuador
Here are some things you need to know about Puerto Lopez before you hop on a plane or a bus to this off-the-beaten-path beauty.
- Although Guayaquil is about 3 hours away, and a bus ride to Quito and Cuenca can take roughly 7 to 8 hours, you’ll be pleased to know that Manabi Province has two domestic airports that can take you to your desired destination within the country.
- The so-called beach life is easily achieved in Puerto López. Aside from having its golden beach, the town is just a short ride away from other beaches you should visit, including Los Frailes, Puerto Cayo, Puerto Rico, and Canoa.
- Buses can take you to and from other towns and cities along the Pacific Coast and further inland, but for shorter distances, you can take a taxi or a mototaxi.
- Puerto López is not only the gateway to the Machalilla National Park. Locals take environmental stewardship to heart, as this sleepy fishing village is a known ecotourism hub in the Manabi Province. Most of the establishments here, particularly hotels, abide by a set of green practices.
- If you’re looking for a place to go wild and party, Puerto López might not be the best option for you. Probably the best place to be would be Montañita. If, however, you want the best of both worlds – Puerto Lopez’s laidback lifestyle and Montañita’s sizzling parties – a mototaxi can easily take you back and forth the two towns.
- From Puerto López, the nearest U.S. consulate is located in the Ecuadorian capital of Quito. You can take the bus and endure a 6-7 hour ride, or you can take the faster way and travel to Quito by plane.
- Aside from exploring the many beaches located near Puerto López, you can indulge yourself in an array of watersports activities such as wind surfing. Water in the area is also clear and presents lovely opportunities for snorkeling and diving. If you’re looking for more adventure, hop on a boat and visit Isla Salango, or better yet, La Isla de la Plata. Home to a variety of species that also live in the Galapagos Islands, La Isla de La Plata is both rich in flora and fauna.
Puerto López – Ecuador Retirement
Retiring in Puerto López might just be your most exciting adventure yet as this fishing town opens up the rest of the wonders of the Ecuadorian Pacific Coast. For more information about retiring in Puerto López, including real estate and more, contact me today at email@example.com. You can also browse our blog for more tips and things to do in the area. See you in paradise!