2 Reasons to Love Whale Watching in Puerto Lopez
LiveTheLifeinEcuador | November 23, 2016
From June to September, the humpback whales travel from Antarctica to the warm waters of Ecuador, showing off to both tourists and locals in Puerto Lopez. Visitors from all over the world travel to Puerto Lopez to witness these beautiful animals in their natural habitat.
It’s an Experience You’ll Never Forget
Whale watching is an experience unlike anything else. Every year, two to three thousand Humpback wales travel from the cold waters of Antarctica to mate and spawn in the waters of Ecuador and Colombia. These beautiful whales can reach up to 50 feet long and they sometimes wander close to the shore, so you can see them breaking the ocean’s surface or perhaps see them leaping out of the water to create a huge splash.
You won’t understand the magnitude of these creatures until you seem them up close and in action. The whales swim slowly, at a rate of 2 km per hour, giving you plenty of time to take photos.
You Can Go on a Whale Tour
If you want to go on a whale watching tour, Puerto Lopez is one of the best spots. You can travel by boat as the local captains and tour guides show you where the best views of the whales are. Many licensed tour agencies can be found along the shore in Puerto Lopez and the trips normally last around 30-45 minutes and can cost as little as $20 per person. Since Puerto Lopez is located near Isla de la Plata, you can also take advantage of the island hopping tours. Many tour operators offer a no see/no pay guarantee as well.
Whale watching is an experience that you won’t want to miss out on. Puerto Lopez offers the best views of these amazing creatures. Hop on a whale watching tour and head out to see these animals that can reach up to 300,000 pounds.
Things to bring whale watching:
- Binoculars – The whales are usually close enough to see, but you can see them even clearer with binoculars.
- Rubber-soled shoes – A moving boat isn’t the best place to wear your finest shoes. Make sure to wear rubber soles for better traction.
- Warm Clothes or a blanket – You may want to bring your winter coat or blanket if your trip is in the colder months during spring or fall.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses – On a hot and sunny day you will want to have sunscreen and sunglasses on to beat the sun. The sunglasses will help protect your eyes from the glare off the water and will help you see the whales even better.
- Camera – Don’t forget to snap some shots of these beautiful, stunning whales to show all of your friends and family.
To find out about more fun and exciting things to do in Puerto Lopez, visit our blog. At LIVETHELIFE, we can turn your dream home into a reality – contact us today to get started. We look forward to partnering with you on your new home in Puerto Lopez.